Hope you all had a great weekend! Yesterday, I attended the wedding of a good friend from high school and let me tell you it was HOT out! The couple got married in an old church in my hometown that is affectionately referred to as ‘The Glass Church’ and it is exactly what it sounds like. It’s a very small, one room church made of all glass and that July sun shining in through made for a rather toasty- albeit beautiful- afternoon. You’ve probably noticed by now that I can usually be counted on to chose full length dresses, however for this event since I had an idea about how warm it would be, I went with this adorable navy dress that I got from Lulu’s. This dress is so cute and comfortable, is less than $50, and comes in a ton of different colors! On a side note guys, if you haven’t ordered anything from this website you definitely need to check it out. I have ordered so many of my special event dresses and even a few casual dresses from them and I am obsessed! They have so many options for different styles and often have great items go on sale! Shipping is always fast and easy, and though I haven’t actually had to return anything yet, the return policy seems to be pretty straightforward should you need to.
I paired this simple green and gold pendant from LOFT to add a little bit more color to the look and went with my Tory Burch sandals to make sure I would be comfortable moving around all afternoon in the heat!
Thanks for reading!
I can’t believe we are already half way through July! Where is the summer going?? Feeling inspired by my love of all things summertime, today I’m going to be talking about this adorable boho maxi dress that I’ve actually had for quite a while but for some reason never seemed to reach for before now. To be fair, I actually love boho styles all year round, there’s just something about summertime that seems to bring it out in me just a little bit more than usual.
So what do I love about this look? First and foremost, it’s lined. You might start to notice a trend here, guys- I will not buy a light colored dress if it isn’t lined. Having to figure out a slip and/or the right undergarments to wear with an outfit is a major pain, one that I prefer to avoid at all costs. Seriously, save yourself the headache and always check the inside- or the description details if you’re a big online shopper, like me- and make sure your lights are lined!
Another thing that makes a dress like this perfect for the summer months is that the outer material is nice and thin so I’m not worried about getting to warm in it. It even has slits up the sides so you have even more breathability when you’re out in the heat! Really I just love how much of a blank canvas an all white maxi dress is. You can literally pair something like this with anything and totally change the look you’re going for. I went with a short sleeve denim jacket here but I love having so many options with just one piece!
What are your favorite summer trends? Thanks for reading!
Real talk here guys. I have battled with oily skin and acne since I was a teenager. It’s literally been a constant battle for me for most of my adult life. I have tried so many different products and regimens over the years with scattered success. For the past few months I have been using the Clinique acne skin care line. It worked fairly well most of the time but I still struggled with bad flare ups every now and then and I thought my skin and I could do better. I saw a starter kit for Proactive+ in the skin section at Ulta and decided to give it a try. So now I’m using sort of a cocktail of different products and have actually seen a ton of improvement in just a few short weeks. If you’re interested in learning about my current skin care routine, just keep reading!
For those of you who don’t know, Proactiv+ is a three-step system beginning with an exfoliating wash, followed by two treatment lotions. It is super quick and easy to use and I love how quickly I started seeing results with my frequency of breakouts and even with the color tone of my skin. I was a bit skeptical about buying it at first, it is a bit on the pricey side and I actually had tried the old formulation of Proactiv when I was in high school with disappointing results. I’ll keep you guys updated, but I’m really liking the direction this is heading in so far!
One Clinique product that I still find has amazing effects on my skin is the City Block Purifying Charcoal Clay Mask. I apply it twice a week to my freshly washed face and let it sit for about five minutes, before gently exfoliating it off with warm water. My skin feels so smooth every time I use it and continues to stay matte longer after I have used it. It only takes a small amount to cover my entire face in a thin layer so you really get a lot of use out of the product for what you’re paying.
The other Clinique product that I really like and use as part of my every day routine is the Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel . I apply it every day when I go to do my makeup, before I apply my primer to ensure a nice even base for applying any other products. It also comes in a lotion form but I definitely find that the gel works better with oily skin.
Clean and Clear
We all have those days where you can just feel a breakout forming, for those problem areas, I just pop on a small amount of the Clean and Clear Advantage Acne Spot Treatment and it quickly reduces redness in the area around the breakout and definitely cuts down on clearing time. I love this product!
What are your current skin care faves? Thanks for reading!
Hope you all had a wonderful and relaxing 4th of July! I promised a full review of the Away’s The Carry-On in my Travel OOTD post a few weeks ago and since then I have gotten to use it a few more times and it has truly blown any other luggage line out of the water for me. This product actually comes in two sizes: The Carry-On and The Bigger Carry-On which are advertised to pack for 3-5 days or 4-7 days respectively. I chose the smaller of the two options because I often fly with smaller airlines which similarly have smaller overhead space for your carry-on bags. My bag is in the color Sand, in case anyone is wondering! The price point is a bit high on this bag but I think it is definitely worth it with all of the modern and helpful features that come with it. So now, lets get into the review!
- Sleek design- The stream-line design of the Away suitcases is perfect for several reasons- other than the fact that it’s super cute and compact of course! First, the hard shell protects my belongings, which is great since suitcases tend to get bumped around so much during travel. Even if I end up having to check my bag, I am confident that my luggage will be secure. Second, I am a serial over-packer! If there is extra space, I will fill it with stuff that I probably don’t actually need. But with this suitcase’s shape and material, even when I fill completely, it still slides in and out of the overhead compartment with ease.
- Easy movement- The wheels on this bag are the 360 degree spinner wheels, which makes it roll super smoothly. The bag itself is also very light when empty so there’s no added weight to what you’re dragging around.
- USB charging port- I honestly haven’t used the charging port much so far but I love that I have it as an option when I’m traveling so I can use it if I run my phone battery down while I’m waiting in the terminals.
- Combination lock- This was actually one of the biggest selling points for me. The three-digit combination lock is super easy to program and to use- it is so convenient that all you need is to remember is your personalized combination, rather than having to travel with a key that could get lost! The two zippers insert into the lock itself so when set, it’s impossible to unzip your luggage and it’s TSA approved so no worries about going through security with your belongings locked away.
- Compression closing soft storage compartment- First off, I am obsessed with the two different compartments! The soft clothing side is large enough for me to comfortably fit a few different outfits and essentials and then the compression pad easily flattens out any extra space to help the bag close nicely when I’m done.
- Zipper closing hard storage compartment- The second compartment, the hard storage side is great for storing shoes, toiletries, hats, and hair tools. It also has plenty of space and then zips securely closed to protect your more fragile items.
All of the Away Travel bags also come with a little laundry bag and a dust bag to put the suitcase in when you aren’t using it! Great additions to an already great product!
Have a happy Thursday! Thanks for reading!
Hope everyone is having a fun and safe holiday weekend! I’m going to try to do a post at the end of each month talking about all of the different things I have been loving that month- from makeup products to iPhone apps to books I finished reading. I know it’s July already so obviously off to a great start here but better late than never! So if you’re interested in what I’ve been obsessing over in the month of June, just keep reading!
1. In a Dark, Dark Wood
This psychological thriller is the debut novel by Ruth Ware and I literally could not put it down- seriously, I carried it around the house and read while I ran the vacuum cleaner. I don’t want to ruin anything so I’ll just tell you that if you’re looking for your next great read and love a little bit of chilling mystery, here it is. I definitely recommend this book to all of my book lovers out there!
2. Urban Decay De-Slick Complexion Primer
Between oily skin and the summer heat, my skin is constantly putting my foundation to the test so I’m always on the hunt for a good primer. I decided to give this one a try for my trip to Vegas earlier in the month and guys, this one is a game-changer. It keeps me matte and shine free for way longer than any other primer I have tried. I can actually feel it clinging to my skin and providing a solid base for my foundation as I apply it. I will definitely be repurchasing!
At the end of the month, my fiancé and I will be moving to Boston and we decided it would be an adventure to drive across the country and explore a little on the way there. Neither one of us has ever lived outside of California so the thought of planning a road trip of that size through a lot of unknown territory seemed pretty daunting. A friend suggested we check out Roadtrippers- a free iPhone app designed for planning road trips- who knew! It has been super helpful in figuring out where we will stop, how long between each stop and what other points of interest might be near each of our stops. I highly recommend it for a road trip of any distance!
4. TOMS Majorca Suede Bootie
I talked about these already in my White Shift Dress post but really they belong here too! I am obsessed with them! They might just be my favorite booties I have ever owned. The color is super versatile and they are so comfortable! I’ve been reaching for them with a ton of different looks this month and I love that I’ll still be able to pair them with plenty of outfits in the fall as well.
Until next month! Thanks for reading!
I was nominated for the One Lovely Blog Award by the wonderful Lauren of Not Your Average Girly Girl. She has a ton of great posts ranging from a What’s in My Bag: Carry On Edition to Favorite Foundation Brushes. Definitely check her out if you haven’t already! Thank you so much for the nomination and support, Lauren- you’re the best!
So here are the rules for the One Lovely Blog Award:
- Thank the person who nominated you and link their blog
- Share 7 facts about yourself
- Nominate (up to) 15 fellow bloggers
- Let your nominees know that you’ve nominated them!
And now here we go with 7 facts about me!
- I am one of two and my younger sister is four years younger and four inches taller than me
- My foolproof way to jump-start a day is with a nice hot vanilla latte
- On the weekends, I volunteer at a marine mammal rescue center as part of the animal care team
- I am currently engaged to my high school sweetheart- we’ve been together since I was fifteen years old
- I read a lot! Reading has always been a passion of mine and I truly believe the words of George R.R. Martin when he said that “a reader lives a thousand lives before he dies”- or she in this case
- I am of mixed ethnicity- my Mom is Caucasian and my Dad is Chinese
- My favorite sport to play is soccer but my favorite sport to watch is football
My nominations (apologies if you’ve already been nominated):
Special shout out here to all of you amazing bloggers for being such a welcoming and inspiring community! I don’t know exactly what I expected when I decided to go ahead and start blogging but I have been overwhelmed by all of the positive thoughts and feedback that I have received so far- so thank you from the bottom of my heart! And thanks everyone for reading!
Happy Tuesday! I spent last weekend celebrating my not-so-baby-sister graduating from college! It was so exciting to see her walk across that stage in her cap and gown to receive her diploma but also makes me feel super old!
The ceremony was indoors but the weather has been very warm all week so I chose to wear a lightweight, white shift dress that I picked up from LOFT a few weeks ago. The material is very breathable and there’s no added heat in the sun from dark colors. The best thing about it though is it has a built-in liner that is thick enough to not need anything underneath but still thin enough to keep me cool . The last thing I want to deal with in this SoCal summer heat is an extra layer! The fit of your traditional shift dress is lose enough to be comfortable but not so much so that it swallows your entire shape. This makes it a very flattering option for any one with a curvy figure like me! And I don’t know about you, but if I’m going to be sitting for an extended amount of time like I was during the ceremony, I would way rather have something with a slightly looser fit for maximum comfort. I couldn’t find this exact dress on their website anymore, but they do have a similar silhouette with a different pattern here. As usual, with the busy pattern on the dress, I kept the accessories super light- just a simple and wide gold bracelet for a pop of sparkle.
For shoes I decided to break in this new pair of booties that I found on sale at Nordstrom and I am so glad that I did! I don’t normally risk it and wear new shoes for long events but I have had good luck with a few different pairs of Toms shoes in the past and these did not disappoint. They were super comfortable for me to walk around in all day and I really put them to the test. I was up and down stairs in the auditorium, chasing my sister with a camera across grass lawns, and huffing it half a mile to and from the parking lot. These booties definitely get the thumbs up from me- and my feet!
Thanks for reading! Hope you all had a nice weekend!
With the summer solstice taking place earlier this week, I thought this would be a perfect time to talk about what all I carry in my beach bag! I have lived near the Pacific Ocean my whole life and spending summers at the beach with my friends and family is always something I look forward to. The contents of my bag do vary a bit but these are the things I make sure I always have with me for a trip to the beach!
There are a few essentials that seem like a no brainer since we’re talking about the beach here but I threw them in there too!
- Towel- I actually am in the habit of packing two ‘towels’- one standard sized beach towel to dry off with and one large, thin blanket to sit on so I have plenty of room. I picked this one up from the accessory section at American Eagle and it’s huge but doesn’t take up too much room in my bag. They don’t have this one in stock anymore but they do have one similar here.
- Water- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! As a long time runner, I can never stress hydration enough, I almost never leave the house without water and the beach is definitely no exception.
- Reading material- If I’m not swimming or surfing, then I’m laying out with whatever book I’m reading at the time. For me, books and SPF are the perfect combination!
- Earbuds- I keep my most listened to playlists on my iPhone so I tuck my earbuds in my bag, just in case it’s a particularly loud day on the beach.
- Sunglasses- It’s super important to protect your eyes from getting sunburnt, everyone knows to always reach for sunscreen to protect their skin but don’t forget about shielding your eyes from harmful UV rays as well!
*My bag is from a Kate Spade Outlet so I got it at a great price, it is the perfect size for all of my essentials and it’s easy to clean- I’m obsessed with it!
As far as the products I bring with me, a long day at the beach usually means a lot of sun, salt water and sweat so I make sure I keep a few things handy!
- Sunscreen- This is my go to brand for sunscreen, it has varying options for SPF and it isn’t greasy- plus it smells amazing! I used to use the spray version since it was so easy to apply but I find that I get much better coverage with the lotion. I also use a separate face formula since I have acne prone skin.
- Body mist- I received this body mist from Victoria’s Secret as a gift and with its floral scent it is perfect for freshening up when I’m ready to head out.
- Face powder- I love the Benefit Hello Flawless face powder for mid-day touch ups. I sweep it all over my face with a Sigma powder brush to quickly refresh my look.
- Lip balm- Chapped lips drive me crazy so super moisturizing lip balm with an easy applicator is a must have!
Thanks for reading! Hope you’re having a fun summer so far!
One of my favorite pieces in my entire wardrobe is this black maxi dress. I literally wear it all the time! The material is so soft and comfortable and I can wear it with just about anything. My go-to is usually a cardigan like I paired with this look but I also often opt for a chambray button down or jean jacket to dress it down. This cardigan is another of my favorites right now- I found it at American Eagle and it’s still available in three colors! It is super light-weight so I can easily wear it all summer but has tight stitching so it keeps me warm when the sun goes down and the night cools off. I absolutely love it and may purchase it in an additional color before they sell out! With a neutral look like this, I love to pair a fun statement necklace for a little pop of sparkle. Another thing I’m totally into right now is the bralette. I love how much variability there is with colors and styles- they really bring that extra something to my look when I’m wearing a lot of grey, white, and black. Not to mention the fact that they are SO comfortable compared to your traditional underwire! They’re so cute and wearable that I don’t mind when they show a little bit so they’re perfect for a dress like this that hangs a bit lower in the front.
What are your go-to pieces?
Happy Thursday! I headed to Vegas this past weekend for some fun girl time in the sun with my cousins! I’ve never been a great flyer so comfort on plane rides is a top priority for me. I usually opt for a super soft tee and workout pants since the stretchy material is great for a more relaxed fit. I also always make sure to have a cardigan or sweater with me, considering how cold it tends to get on airplanes. My Nike kicks are perfect for traveling- I can walk forever in them and they’re easy to slip on and off when I’m going through security- and when you live in Los Angeles, getting through LAX security quickly and efficiently becomes an art form that you and other travelers greatly appreciate. With that in mind, I always keep my accessories to a minimum- maybe a watch on long or red-eye flights to keep track of the time but not much more than that.
As far as luggage, I recently purchased this suitcase from Away and I am obsessed with it! I’ll probably do a full review on it in another post once I’ve had a chance to use it a few more times. For now, I will tell you that though it is a bit on the pricey side, from what I’ve seen so far it’s definitely worth the money with all of its features and versatility.
What are your faves for traveling?